Thursday 22 October 2015

eric chester







































My grandfather, Eric Chester, passed away in July this year. He was in his early 90s and his health had been in decline for some time so it wasn't unexpected.

The last time I saw him – in April I think – I took lots of photographs with the intention of making a portrait of him, and here it is.

The distortions, the incorrect proportions and faulty perspective are, of course, intentional. I work from photographs most of the time and try to avoid a straight copy of the source material by deliberately exaggerating elements of the original image and also leaving in any mistakes I might make. I think I was successful here, although the drawing of the face could have been much looser.

TWSBI Diamond 580 with Platinum Carbon ink on A4 Stillman and Birn Alpha Series paper. Digital colour.

No comments: