Thursday 13 August 2015

doi suthep







































We went to the temple at Doi Suthep one day. I thought the temple was Doi Suthep but it's actually called Wat Phra That; Doi Suthep is the name of the mountain it sits on. Anyway, to get to the temple you have to drive up a long winding road that seems to go on forever. Then, at the drop-off point, you can either take a funicular up the last section or walk 300 steps to the top.

The temple itself is incredible – very elaborately decorated with golden statues of the Buddha everywhere, ornate carvings, murals, gongs and a row of huge metal bells which you can ring – but very, very busy with hordes of tourists swarming all over the place. Trying to draw anything was a nightmare. So many people stood right behind me or next to me to watch making me really self-conscious. Some even stood directly in front of me and completely obscured my view! I suppose people have got the right to stand wherever they like, but I was really pissed off and self-aware and couldn't concentrate on what I was doing. Embarrassed by the crap first drawing I made (left), I quickly rushed through a second drawing of the head only (right) and was much happier with the results, but by then, the rest of the party were agitating to leave, as we had other things planned that day. So, a rather frustrating experience all told.

UniPin fineliner and Winsor & Newton watercolours in 190 x 250 mm Seawhite sketchbook.

No comments: