Monday 9 March 2015

theatre poster







































Poster design for Northbrook Theatre's impending production of Bare.

I've been designing posters for shows at the college theatre for a couple of years now and have been using the opportunity to try out different things each time (I'll post the results of previous endeavours some time in the near future). I thought that it was about time I that I should draw something in my own style.

I'm relatively happy with it and that's high praise given that I'm extremely critical about everything that I do. This was an exercise in trying to complete a job quickly, so that I couldn't agonise over every single mark and redraw everything a thousand times until all sense of spontaneity and freshness evaporated. The nose troubles me somewhat, having 7.30pm on a single line causes me no end of misery, and the more attentive viewer may spot a finger too many in the clasped hands. However, I DO like the wings, the minimal colour palette and the sharp contrast between white and green (originally blue, but I couldn't get the printer to match the shade of blue I had onscreen.)

TWSBI Diamond 580 with Platinum Carbon ink, digital colour.

4 comments:

Dave Shelton said...

Clasped hands are a bugger.

The subtly hinted at extra finger is clearly a clever allusion to ... something highly pertinent, and only dimmer intellects would perceive it as a mistake.

Mike Chester said...

As you well know, drawing can be a very hypnotic process and sometimes when you get into a scribbly trance, you're mesmerised simply through the act of putting down marks on paper without being too concerned about the results.

OR my observational skill safe crap.

Mike Chester said...

That last bit should say:

OR my observational skills are crap.

(damn you auotcorrect)

Mike Chester said...

That last bit of the last bit should say:

(damn you autocorrect)

(double damn my sausage-fingered typing)