Thursday 8 July 2010

... and three attempts at Emma...




I was quite happy with the first drawing I made of Emma (bottom) until J. pointed out that the hatching on her face made her look a bit, erm, 'excessively wrinkled'. It's certainly over-hatched. I find it really difficult to apply hatching to women's faces without making them look ugly, or old, or hairy. I think the strokes need to be shorter and finer — maybe drawn with a different sized nib to the one I usually use.

Anyway, I redrew the picture and initially, I thought it was an improvement on the original. What was I thinking? It's TERRIBLE. I gave her a really fat neck and tiny squinty eyes that she doesn't have in real life. At least, they weren't there when I last looked.

So, preferring to salvage what I could of the first attempt rather than go for a third version, I scanned in the original drawing, deleted the offending marks with my digital eraser, printed out a copy and rehatched the affected areas. The new version isn't markedly different from the old, but I'm much happier with it. We'll just have to see what the reaction from the Earth Mother is. And if she's mortally offended by it, I'm not too concerned about any physical retribution. She's in Uganda. Heh, heh.

No comments: